*Makes 4 generous portions
If you simply want the macaroni and cheese with no topping, that is fine too, simply skip the last baking step. I however love that crunchiness !
16 oz./2 cups/450 grams of macaroni
For the crumb topping
1 cup of bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Pinch of salt
For the cheese sauce
1 ½ cups of raw cashews, soaked in bowling water for 5 minutes
1 ½ cups of water
¼ cup nutritional yeast
juice of 1 small lemon
¾ teaspoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of dijon musard
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
¼ teaspoon of turmeric
8 x 8 baking dish (I used glass but you can use which ever you prefer or have on hand)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook the macaroni and set aside.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, start with the bread topping first. Place the crumbs in a small bowl, drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
3. In a blender, combine all of the cheese sauce ingredients and blend until creamy.
4. Once the pasta is cooked and drained. Add pasta back to the pot it was cooked in, add the cheese sauce and combine well. Pour the mac & cheese into the baking dish and top with the bread crumbs.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes uncovered, this is simply to brown the toping a tad.
Let cool for 5 minutes and try to eat it nice and warm or the sauce will thicken.
Simple and delicious
Cristina for Peas & Peace