*Makes 2 x 6 inch logs
- 1 ½ cups of vital wheat gluten
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil *Not melted
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Once the mixture starts to come together, finish mixing by hand, kneading the dough for 3 minutes to make sure it’s well combined.
2. Add water to a large pot with a steamer basket and bring to a boil.
3. Divide the dough into two pieces then roll the dough pieces into two logs about 6 inches long.
4. Wrap each log up loosely in a piece of aluminum foil then twist the ends closed. Steam for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the logs from the steamer and allow to cool completely in the fridge. The logs will have puffed up in the foil and become tight.
6. Once cooled, remove the foil and they are ready to slice.
I cut them in cubes and serve them as an appetizer, as a pizza topping, in a pasta sauce or in a sandwich !!!
Cristina for Peas & Peace