*Makes 12 buns
For the dough:
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 ¼ cup + (If needed) of unsweetened soya milk
For the cinnamon sugar filling:
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered (Icing) sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons of unsweetened soya milk
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Line with parchment paper a 9″x 12″ baking dish (Not a pan, you want the rolls to be placed and holding up side by side with no spacing). For the cinnamon buns to stay soft they need to expand into each other.
- For the dough:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the vegan butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or fork if you dont have a cutter, to cut the butter into the flour until you reach a grainy texture. Pour in the soya milk and combine to make a dough (Add a little milk at a time if you feel the texture is too dry).
- On a flat surface use your hands to knead the dough together incorporating any leftover dry ingredients until it all comes together into a ball. Put the dough ball back into the bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough: Once the dough has rested, lightly flour a clean flat surface and roll the dough with a rolling pin until you get a 19″ x 14″ rectangle.
- Cinnamon sugar filling: Pour the melted vegan butter over the rolled out dough and use a pastry brush to spread the butter evenly over the dough. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the melted butter.
- Roll the cinnamon buns: Starting from a longer side of the dough rectangle, use your hands to gently roll the dough up. Once rolled, use a sharp knife to cut (In a sawed manner) 12 even rolls.
- Bake: Place the cinnamon buns in the baking dish, swirl side up, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- For the icing:
- Whisk the icing sugar, vegan butter, vanilla extract, and soya milk together in a small bowl. Spread the icing evenly over the cinnamon buns.
Cristina for Peas & Peace
1 thought on “Cinnamon Buns”